Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vegan Shepherds Pie



My wife just came home from work and we really did not have a lot on the shelves. We wanted a quick meal and it basically had to come from what we had. Sometimes that is when I cook the best. This was actually that good that I feel I should write it down so I could pass it on. I also might have to refer back to it at a later time. That is something I do not do often.

My Mom used to make Shepherds pie when we were kids and it was one of the ten meals my Mom made that I abhorred. Hers of course was the Hamburger variety with peas. On extra good days they were frozen peas. The Gravy made it edible because it was fun playing with the gravy.

Vegan Shepherds Pie

Potatoes

  • 2 1/2 Cups Gold Potatoes -The real little white ones.
  • 2 tbsp. Vegan butter.
  • 3/4 cup Soy/Rice Milk

Simply boil the Potatoes and make traditional mashed potatoes. I prefer using an old fashioned potato masher. Keep the skins on for this dish. Notice there is not a lot of butter or milk like in the traditional mashed potatoes.

The Fake Meat Portion

  • Traders Joe's Psuedo Ground Meat. Other brands may work but this works well).
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 1 Cup Mushrooms (This time of year use corn cut off the cob)
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 Tbsp. Red Chilly Sauce
Brown Onions and Fake Cow in a pan lined with Olive Oil. Add Red Chilly sauce after 5 minutes. Pretty Darn Easy.

The Gravy (This is the fun part.

1 cup Lentils
1 tbsp. Curry Powder
1 tbsp. Cumin
Tamari ( I just pour it in -probably a half a cup)
Corn Starch 2 Tbsp,
Brown Sugar

Boil the lentils in water. Add the Cumin and Curry as the Lentils start to soften up. The water will reduce. You know the routine, add another cup of water and Tamari. When the Lentils are near done add Corn starch and wick in to allow it to thicken. Add the Brown sugar near the end. Voila, you now have the gravy.
.
Simply spoon in the Potatoes into a casserole dish. You can figure out the size because I just grab one that looks like it going to work. Next Layer in the Meat mix. Finally add the gravy on top. The gravy should be fairly thick.

Fresh Basil on top would be a nice touch

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Serve hot.

1 comment: